- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium leeks (white and light green parts only), rinsed and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large stalk celery, chopped
- salt (to taste if needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces Connemara Smokehouse smoked salmon, shredded
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the leeks and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the potato, celery and pepper and cook over medium heat for about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the stock and simmer until the potato is tender, about 15 minutes.
Add the tomato paste and milk, then the smoked salmon, and bring the mixture back to a simmer for a few minutes. (Don’t let it boil, or the milk will separate.) As it simmers, stir in the cream. Remove from heat and garnish with the chives.